Monday, December 15, 2008

My New Team Teacher

As Kansas Teacher of the Year, I get the opportunity to travel around the state speaking to various groups of people. It is exciting and overwhelming at the same time to look at my calendar over the next few months. I see many events that are way outside my comfort zone but also know that is the only way I will grow and learn. I must get comfortable being uncomfortable!
My first "official" appearance is this weekend at the Kansas City Chiefs game - they will be recognizing me and the Missouri Teacher of the Year at half-time. I must say getting a phone call from David Lindstrom, a former Chiefs player, at my home the other night was pretty darn exciting. He is providing the tickets and is also getting us side line passes along with tickets to a tailgate party. If you are a teacher, you know we are pretty easy to please. You could give us a free pen and we think we have won the lottery - so I am almost giddy looking forward to this weekend. Sure hope it isn't too cold!!!

Today I received some great news! My district found a wonderful man, Mr. Darrow, to team teach with me second semester. He has taught Calculus before and is excited to take over my classes when I am gone. Truly amazing to find someone in the middle of the year, licensed in mathematics, and has even taught using the same text I am using??!! I have mixed emotions about turning my classes over to someone. My students are like my own children and it is so hard to give them to someone else for even a little while. I think this "control issue" may be why I rarely call in sick to school!!! Just thinking that I will miss out on all the events happening in their lives when I am gone makes me sad. This really hit hard today as Cody, a young man I have 2nd hour, asked out the girl sitting next to him. I thought quietly to myself; I will miss hearing how the date went and all the excitement that goes with high school students. So for the next few days, I am going to soak up all their energy that I can!!! Mr. Darrow is one lucky man.

Free free to post comments!  I'd love to hear from you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cqurYou are amazing and I can't wait to hear about your adventures!! The state is so lucky to be able to learn from you...you've taught me so much. Godspeed, Cindy! :)

joknapp said...

Cindy,
I want to say again how proud and happy I am that you have finally received the recognition that you so much deserve. I look forward to hearing about your travels but more than that, I believe you will make a difference for teachers across this State as you speak and inspire others with your passion for kids.

Jan Young said...

This is soooo cool. You are truly embarking on an adventure of a life time! I know you will miss your "kids" but knowing you, you will share more with them than they could have ever got from just learning Calc. I know they are all very proud of you as we all are.
p.s. Tell Tony G. to "catch one for me"!