Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The End is the New Beginning


All across the state, the school year is winding down. (cue music) The Final Countdown has begun! The cycle of beginning and ending each year is one of the best parts of teaching. Getting to witness student's growth both academically and socially is so rewarding. Today was my seniors last day. It is always an amazing day to be at school...the energy in the building is almost palpable. Even teachers who don't have seniors feel the effects of the enthusiasm that comes about when the seniors know they are ending a part of their life they can never go back to and embark on an adventure that is unknown, scary, and exciting. For me, I need the closure of saying goodbye to each one of them. It is a day of bittersweet joy. I worry about them like they are my own. I want them to be safe, find their path in life, and mostly, be happy. Sometimes, they come back and visit with me -one of the very BEST parts of teaching - and share their successes, failures, and goals with me. I grow and learn from each visit. It reminds me that teachers can not predict where their lives will take them and how their paths may change from when they leave our classrooms. It reminds me to accept students where they are, help them grow, guide them as they struggle, support them as they fail, celebrate with them when they succeed, and then stand back and watch as they "bloom where they are planted." Being a teacher is much like being a parent - only I have 120 babies. I am so proud of each one of them.
I hope they come back and see me......

No comments: