Friday, August 7, 2009

USD 501 Topeka Public School

A group from McCarter tailgating!
I was invited to help kick off the school year for Topeka USD 501 and it was me that felt energized from the 2300 people I spoke to! I arrived at Hummer Sports Park and wondered if I was there for a K-State football game...there were groups tailgating, a band playing, and the National Guard was shooting t-shirts into the air! This district knows how to "rev up" their staff!!! It was so festive with schools dressing in their school colors, holding signs, and balloons. I realize every district has their own traditions and culture and Topeka's tradition was awesome. They drew 7 names for a "day off" with their administrators covering their class for a day - what a really cool idea.




The four students who helped in my presentation - they rocked!
It was extra special for me as there were more Buhler connections as Dr. Stephen Burkholder (his dad was a superintendent at Buhler- and a legend in my district) is the Executive Director of Instruction and was on stage with me. Two previous students were in the audience which made it even more meaningful. Dr. Kevin Singer made me feel so unbelievable welcome and spent a couple hours of his valuable time with me sharing his amazing life experiences. If you ever have the opportunity to ask him about his life, you should. He is one of those people that can redefine "coincidence" or "fate." He was very involved in In The Shadow of the Blade and has promised me a copy - I may hold him to it!

I know something as big as today was doesn't happen without someone really working extra time coordinating it all. Ron Harbaugh was the MIC - that is "man in charge" of it all. He helped me tremendously and even found some students to help me with my presentation. He, too, made me feel at home in Topeka. The students did a great job - I was so impressed they sat in front of that many people and spoke...that is definitely a growing experience! If you want to check out the news coverage from WIBW click here.

When I looked out at all those people knowing the power to influence our future children each of them holds, it gave me goose bumps. USD 501 has 13,500 students that are going to be entering their buildings next week. Think about that for a minute....that is a lot of students with a lot of needs, expectations, goals, and dreams. Getting to know each student's story was my challenge to them. Because once you know their story, you have to do something about it.

Buhler grads teaching in Topeka: Michael Knapp and Demitris Reed-Sawatsky

No comments: