Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Journey not the Destination

I learned Kinsley is half-way between New York and San Francisco!!

I was invited to speak at the Central Prairie League Banquet. What a great thing this League does. Most Leagues recognize All League athletes but this one not only recognizes All League Honor Students but holds a banquet in their honor. This year, Kinsley hosted the banquet which was great for me as I have a good friend who lives in Kinsley so I got to visit her while there! At left is the LaCrosse Crew (4th from left is Olivia Keeley, whose parents are both adminstrators, and "officially" won the airplane contest)




The communities are all so closely tied together with most students knowing each other, and connections that go back to kindergarten. There was a definite sense of family and community at this League event. Being in Kinsley reminded me of my hometown- where "everybody knows your name - and they're always glad you came" (read that by singing it). My goal in my speech was to make them feel appreciated and honored but it was I who felt that way by them! I got to know a few students while there and each of them has a story. EVERY person has a story and it is such a great experience to get to hear them. (pictured left is Kayla King who "unofficially" won the airplane contest)


These two gentlemen, Marshall Musil (playing football at OU next year) and Jeremy Garcia (playing football at HCC next year) helped me with my card trick!

Quite a few students have full rides to play football, one has a dad as her superintendent and a mom as her principal (can you imagine the conversations at her house?). I bet she doesn't get away with too much! I got to laugh and be my crazy self for the evening as I encouraged everyone to "Fly Outside the Box." I even got a few administrators to act a little silly in a picture.

The whole evening was special as a friend, Jan, rode with me to Kinsley and we got to hang out after the banquet with Carol who lives there. Carol spoke about most everyone at the banquet, filling me in on all their stories, talking about families, tragedies, and triumphs. I hope someday I get invited back as I am starting to feel like I belong in Kinsley too!
The evening ended perfectly with Jan giving me the book "Is There Really a Human RACE?" It has great illustrations and a message that fit perfectly into my evening. I am thinking I will read this book to my seniors this year.

No comments: