Monday, April 20, 2009

Tigers and Redskins


The Team with the FHSU Tiger!
The KTOY Team visited Fort Hays State University and were excited to visit with a group of future teachers. During one of our activities, I circulated around listening to their excitement and fear about becoming a teacher. There are many commonalities in their answers at all our college visits. Their excitement is usually getting the opportunity to make a difference in student's lives...usually followed by an apology for being so cliche. No need to apologize - if that isn't your number one motivation for becoming a teacher, you are probably in the wrong profession. So say it with pride, with excitement and with passion. YES - you will make a difference because you WANT to! (left: Mary Martha talking to a FHSU student)


That evening I was invited to speak at the Academic Banquet for Little River High School students. The night was great as I got to see some old friends there and some of my wonderful friends and colleagues drove to Little River to hear me speak (or at least that is what I am telling myself....they might have made the trip as grandma works there). The food was great (can you say cheesecake?) and the students were amazing! They sat on the FRONT ROW of the auditorium without even be asked to! High school students are "my people" - who I am comfortable with. They were great sports about getting involved and gave me such energy being around them. Man, I miss my students! I drove home thinking "I love high school students!" No matter how tired teachers are, when we get around excited, energetic students, we get to "feed off" their energy. We have the BEST JOB ever as teachers.

Me with Principal, Dawn Johnson, and LRHS Honor Students
I was pretty pumped afterwards when Dawn Johnson, principal at Little River, gave me an IPodNano in K-State Purple as a gift for speaking! I lost all sense of composure and did my "happy dance" that I usually reserve for only my students (it isn't real pretty to watch). I don't have an IPod of any sort and have been wanting one for a long time so this was like Christmas....but it gets better! My name is on the back of it AND it is pre-loaded with some incredible books to listen to while I travel. Some I have read and loved so much I will listen to them again but most I have not had the chance of reading and look forward to getting to "read" them. Ms. Johnson, YOU ROCK!!! And so do your students!!!!!!
Now, if I can just get my next presentation group to give me a running strap thingee for it.... :-)

No comments: