Sunday, June 7, 2009

May Mayhem!


The end of the year is busy - it is like everyone is in a race trying to get everything in before June. I have had so many opportunities the past few weeks and will do my best to summarize a few of them but am saving the amazing day I had yesterday for it's own entry...curious? Well, check back soon to see what I was up to! :-)

I was asked to speak at Ellinwood's graduation - the day after Buhler's graduation. This is significant as I borrowed some of Mr. Berblinger's (my principal) speech and incorporated it into mine! THANKS! It is so interesting how different each school's traditions and histories are. Ellinwood had an awesome graduation with a slide show before hand with all the graduates, their pictures, and highlights of their lives. It was great!!

Later that same week, I got to spend the LAST DAY of the school year with the Wellsville school district. I laughed as the only thing that stood between them and summer was ME! Not necessarily a good place to be....but they were incredible- maybe it was just the pure excitement of the end of the school year, but they were fun, energetic and so receptive. I would love to go back at the beginning of the year and see how their summer was as I got to hear about some fun plans!

I also visited the Saline County Retired Teachers Association. This group is committed to serving and volunteering with our youth. It was a special day for me because my aunt is a member of this group which meant my uncle also got to come. PLUS she invited my parents to come listen. This was the first time I have presented in front of my mom, dad, and family. I am not sure they enjoyed it as much as I did, but I hope so!!



I have also been busy keeping up with the discussion on a State Teacher of the Year forum. There is much going on in education right now! National standards and assessments are now being considered. The National Governor's Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers have joined together to begin the voluntary process. Right now the only states that have opted out are: Alaska, South Carolina, Missouri, and Texas. Those states have various reasons for opting out and some may join in soon either by choice or by their state legislature. I have always wanted National Standards rather than state standard and assessments. We compare our states using different ones right now and if comparison must take place, let's make sure we are on the same playing field. I would propose we start slow though...taking one curriculum at a time. Because math is very sequential and for the most part, fairly uniform from state to state, I would like to see math go first. If we can agree universally on what an Advanced Placement Calculus test surely we can agree nationally on what an algebra test would be. Some curriculum would definitely be more "sticky." But I think the time has come to have national standards as I know the Kansas standards are as difficult as any other state. The one thing I do hope is different though: fewer but still rigorous standards.

No comments: