Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sloowww Dowwwnnn....

Imagine this is me only without the drink and replace the water with cement!
I was hoping this week I would be writing about International Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama that all State Teachers of the Year are invited to. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to do some astronaut training and connect with teachers all over the world. However, life doesn't always go as planned. Sometimes it sends you the message to SLOW DOWN. On Wednesday of last week, I fainted and did the "Nestea Plunge" straight back on my head. I was out for over 10 minutes and lost my short-term memory for a few hours. After 3 days in the hospital and much pain medication, I am feeling better! I am still missing my sense of smell and taste but all the doctors, including my neurologist (no one should have a neurologist), tell me my senses will come with time - my brain is just swollen right now. Consequently, I missed my flight and the doctors said spinning at 3 G's is not a good idea - I agree! I kept telling my doctors that I was to go to Space Camp Friday and my mom and aunt had made me special "ruby red slippers" to wear as I was going as Dorothy (pictured at left is my Aunt Nancy and my mom). Every state teacher is supposed to dress like something from their state...I was going to go as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Now, evidently I was telling the doctors this along with some other statements that made no sense all along not being able to recall my sons' names. In my report, it says "pleasant female with memory loss and hallucinations of going to space dressed as Dorothy." I busted out laughing at that!!! I bet everyone thought I was really going crazy!


I have since learned about "severe head trauma" and have a new appreciation for athletes who suffer a concussion. It is a very dangerous condition. My oldest son is getting ready to play 7th grade football and I worry about him ever going through this. I know there are safety precautions and protocol in place to make sure athletes don't return to the sport before they are healthy but as a mother, I still worry. I have had many students over the years suffer concussions and now understand what they went through; the headaches, the inability to focus, the vertigo, the nausea. Having this experience will definitely help me in handling students who have to go through this.


Everyone needs to know your state, district, and school's policy on concussions. In Kansas, I can not find any written policy or guidelines regarding an athlete's return to competitive sports. It makes some sense that coaches must rely on a doctor's assessment and release. I hope coaches across the nation take this issue very seriously. The price a student athlete pays is not worth winning. I used to coach and am not sure I understood all the ramifications of a concussion. Lately, there has been much press about concussions (thanks to Trent Green) and we are much more aware....I still worry - it is a "mom thing!"

No comments: