Saturday, July 4, 2009

Whatcha' Been Doing?


I haven't posted to my blog in a couple weeks and I have been getting the question, "Whatcha' been doing?" I guess the answer to that is LEARNING! I haven't really traveled anywhere for KTOY the last 2 weeks so I took advantage of some down time and took 3 credit hours on topics such as Moodle (now have my own Moodle page), Instructional Strategies (I am always needed to be reminded of what I should be doing), and Data Driven Dialogue (very useful with state and common assessments). I have also been READING - I really recommend the book Never Work Harder than Your Students. Don't let the title put you off as it did me. It is an incredible book that made me evaluate how and why I teach students the way I do. I am going to change some things for next year in my class using this book as a guideline. It is very easy to read with stories and specific examples of what to do in your classroom. I promise - you will love it!


The second book, Disrupting Class, isn't as easy to read but VERY thought provoking. The title makes you think it is going to be about how to handle discipline issues but it is about our new generation of learners and how to better address their learning styles, using technology to "disrupt" class. I have many questions about some of the ideas in this book (how do online courses change how education will be delivered, etc). I will get the opportunity to ask those questions in Nashville, TN next week at ECS National Forum on Education Policy where I get to listen to the author. So - if you are reading, or have read that book, share your questions and concerns and I will relay them next Thursday in Good 'Ole Rocky Top!

I am also working on reading Why We Teach. This book is perfect to start the school year off as it is very inspirational and reminds/reinforces what education is all about. Next on my list will be Outliers. I have many friends who have recommended this book to me and I am looking forward to this read - or should I say "listen" as thanks to Little River High School and Dawn Johnson, this book is on my Nano Ipod I received!! WHOO -HOO!!


Some people are under the impression teachers don't work in the summer. Anyone who is a teacher or knows a teacher realizes we spend all summer reading, learning, reflecting, and preparing for the next generation of learners. We are all really life-long learners - walking our talk.

2 comments:

Dayna Richardson said...

Cindy,
You WALK YOUR TALK every day. What a great summer of learning. Learning that includes content, process and context. And, reflecting each step of the way. What a journey.
That is what great leaders do!!
~DR

Cindy Couchman said...

THANKS!! My head is full - I wonder sometimes if I will remember half of what I am learning. I should learn to do the summaries/reflections that you do.