Monday, September 21, 2009

Meet the 2010 Kansas Teacher of the Year Team


This weekend was suspenseful, exciting, and inspiring for me. I had the privilege of attending the four regional Teacher of the Year banquets in our state. Every district TOY was honored for their excellence in teaching. In our state there were 91 teachers honored! Fifty-four school districts participated by nominating either an elementary or secondary teacher or one of both. I find it infuriating that more districts didn't participate. I would like to have about 30 minutes with all administrators explaining why they should participate but since they won't give it to me, I am going to shake my finger at them and say "SHAME ON YOU!" Administrators - listen up!! Teachers seldom get recognition, appreciation, or the opportunity to be treated like a professional. The Teacher of the Year program does just that AND MORE. It gives teacher leaders a network with the Kansas Exemplary Educators Network (KEEN), free professional development through the KSDE, and opens doors that will improve their instruction. So -if you are a district reading my blog and didn't participates, PLEASE participate next year. Teachers all over the state are willing and waiting. In this critical time in education, we need to empower all the teachers we can and get "Teachers to The Table" on issues. Now, on to the exciting weekend!



Joan Moore (McPherson) and Jeline Harclerode (Emporia)

Cathy Durano and Tracey Repp both of Andover


Beth Slawson (Paola) and Arthur Commons (Baxter Springs)

YET TO BE POSTED: Pics of Region 3 - Check back again soon.

Listening to every district teacher's bio was humbling and once again, I wondered, "How in the world did I get named last year?" It is exactly how the 2010 Finalists feel I am sure. My response to them (and to me when I am talking to myself) is simple. EVERY teacher is someone's teacher of the year...the finalists are just their spokesperson - they are to become ALL of our voice, our advocate, our children's advocate, and our representation at different events all over the state. I would like to introduce the 2010 Teacher of the Year Finalists. If you know them (or even if you don't), shoot them an email to congratulate them. It is an exciting time!!

All district TOY's will be invited to a conference in November when the 2010 Kansas Teacher of the Year will be named - I challenged them all to attend and accept the opportunity before them. I hope to see everyone there!



No comments: