Sunday, September 13, 2009

Overextended?

I messed up today (Sunday). I could make a ton of excuses, blame others, or lie about it but the reality is I forgot and I have no one to blame. Here is what happened. An amazing young lady asked me to be her sponsor for the National Honor Society induction ceremony and I was honored to say "Yes!" The ceremony was this afternoon and I forgot about it. Everyone did their part to remind me. For example, the NHS sponsor put reminders in our mailboxes on Friday - only I never left my room Friday to go get my mail. I was gone two days this week and was scrambling on Friday. If you are a teacher, you know what I am talking about. I had students in during my plan, graded over lunch, and students in after school - and even a previous graduate getting help with Calculus 2. But those are just excuses....I have more if you need them but it is time to own up to what happened...I forgot and I am sorry. When I got "the call" wondering where I was at, I felt like a train had hit me. I let Emily down. It is awful disappointing students. I have done it before and will probably do it again but am going to try very hard not to! Things like this cause me to lose sleep. Part of me wanted to call and tell Emily I got sick, had a flat tire, or some other lie because it is hard to admit to mistakes. But this is just another opportunity to model what I expect of students every day: tell the truth, ask for forgiveness if needed, and move on.

It does make me reevaluate things though. Am I over-extended? Have I committed to too many things? My plate is pretty full right now. I have said "yes" to a lot of committees and volunteer positions. Just last week, I volunteered to be a room mom for my son's classroom. What am I thinking? I can't even seem to keep my own classroom organized and I am going to help out with someone elses? Tomorrow after school I have 4 meetings - at the same time! I am going to the one I get "paid for" but once again I wonder what I am doing. I am missing a meeting for my son's Scout troop for it. Every teacher goes through this. At some point during the school year, we have to step back and evaluate our priorities. It is soooo hard. I think of my students as my own children and often they are put ahead of my own two boys. Is it right? I don't know. I can guarantee most teachers have done it though. Coaches do it on a daily basis...principals do it daily...and most teachers do too. However, it is pretty cool to be a part of a profession that is dedicated to caring for our youth. Everything I am doing, I love. I have had a great many opportunities this year and have not regretted saying yes to any of them. Actually, I have found that I regret most the things I choose NOT to do - I seldom regret the things I do. So although I am overextended, and my plate is running over, and I have let Emily down, I think I will continue to say "yes" - life is for living, right??!!! (Feel free to insert an "Amen!" here)

So, back to Emily. She forgave me for missing her NHS induction ceremony. Now - if I can only forgive myself.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Cindy,
We have all been there...you are are just more honest than most! Forgive yourself! And as for Emily....you now owe her one! lol