Friday, January 30, 2009

Dallas Day Three

Left to right: Nancy Flanagan, Alice Williams (from CTQ) and in back, Jon Quam (NTOY Director)

We started our morning today hearing from Barnett Berry, Nancy Flanagan (MI TOY '93), and Alice Williams of the Center for Teaching Quality. This was extra special to me as they also run the Teacher Leaders Network which I belong to. It was so great to get to put a face and personality to the names I have been following on the TLN blogs. If you have never visited their websites, I urge you to do so. In fact, if you click on the TeacherSoutions 2030 video, you will see Cindi Rigsbee, North Carolina TOY and one of the four National Finalists this year, and the work she and eleven other teachers are doing. I am so proud to "hang with her" this week! They presented us with their Wacky Ideas for education which most of us loved! Here are some:

1. New teachers should only teach a 60% load the first year and an 80% load the second year.
2. We should have high stakes accountability focusing primarily on small teams working with the SAME students over time.
3. Every professional educator teaches students at least some of the time. That means EVERY educator including administrators. (I guess this would help number 1 take place)
4. The highest paid ANYBODY in any district should be the teacher.

A couple from my table group, Chantelle Herchenhahn (Mississippi) and Cindi Rigsbee (North Carolina)

As you can see, they really forced us to think "outside the box" on problems and solutions. It is why I love reading their blogs - especially Nancy Flanagan's. And while I am recommending blogs to check out, follow Cindi Rigsbee around on her TWO blogs (she is one busy lady) at the Dream Teacher and nctoytreks08-09 It is ironic that they were forcing me to challenge my beliefs and philosophies and think outside the box as it ties into what I am reading right now: Leadership and Self-Deception: getting out of the box by The Arbringer Institute.



Me with Andrea Peterson (2007 NTOY) during break-out session

We also got to have a break-out session in the afternoon to reflect on our learning for the day. Our leader was Andrea Peterson, 2007 National Teacher of the Year. She did a phenomenal job keeping us on topic. She spoke to the entire group earlier in the morning and reminded us what we have been doing our whole lives has prepared us for the job at hand.
I am excited for tomorrow as I peeked ahead at the agenda and we get to hear from Mary Beth Blegen, 1996 National Teacher of the Year. I have been fortunate enough to sit with her and Nancy Flannagan a couple times and they definitely leave me speechless. I can't wait to hear from her. Also, we will close our Dallas Conference out tomorrow with a formal dinner and listen to Michael Geisen, 2008 National Teacher of the Year. I go to bed each night tired but professionally inspired and personally motivated.

Teaching, Leading, Learning: Effective, Practical, Sustainable
2009 NTOY Program Conference

No comments: