Friday, January 9, 2009

Thank A Teacher


Teachers work without much recognition every day year after year. If you are fortunate, you occasionally get a student to thank you or write you a letter. I have been fortunate as I have students in class who make me feel appreciated. Sometimes it is a simple "thank-you" for staying during lunch to work through a problem or for staying after school to review for SAT's. (or even Beau telling me he likes my hair today). Sometimes parents can send an email that means just as much. I have received a couple this past week that made me wonder why I don't send more to my own children's teachers. So if you are reading this blog, take a moment to send a note, email, or simply thank a teacher who did something nice for you. It sure puts a "spring in my step" and helps me get energized each day to work harder and do more.

Speaking of recognition...Our Board of Education (I am not sucking up here -but our BOE is incredible) recognized me and two other amazing teachers at half-time of the basketball game tonight. Teresa Sindelar was recognized for the Horizon Award. This honors eight outstanding teachers in each region of the state who just completed their first year of teaching. According to the NEA, half of new teachers will leave the profession within the first 5 years. I think we need to do more "recognizing" and "thanking" good teachers and maybe that statistic would change. When Teresa left the court, she said to me, "I didn't realize this was such a big deal." Yes, Teresa it is a huge, awesome, you are great, kind of deal! :-) The other teacher is my mentor, Marilyn Bolton. She is the epitome of a life-long learner. She has a couple masters under her belt and still continues to learn with technology use (see what all she has done by clicking here.) Mrs. Bolton was recognized for being named the Kansas World Language Teacher of the Year. I really think more districts need to take part in the Recognitions Program KSDE offers (learn by clicking here)

Next week, our Team will be visiting two school districts, ElDorado on Monday and Newton on Tuesday. I am anxious to see the Team again. Be sure to check in next week on the blog for pictures and what all we learned as we visited these two outstanding school districts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blogs.

Good luck in your adventure.