Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dallas!!!

Wow! I have been in Dallas at the National Teacher of the Year Conference for only one day and am already amazed at what I have learned from other educators across our nation (and outlying territories!). We spent all day today learning about our SMART Board and the software that comes with it. My brain is so full and feel like it just might implode! I really think this technology will revolutionize the way we teach. Pictured at the left is Edney Freeman, Virgin Islands, showing us how to work the Board! There are over 700,000 SMART Boards in classrooms worldwide and I can see that number doubling quickly. Many educators are already pros at the technology and I have learned much from them - including my Calculus friends from Alaska (Bob Williams) and Tennessee (Luajean Bryan).

Bob Williams, Luajean Bryan, Cindy Couchman
math geeks and proud of it!


I also was blessed to meet the 2002 National Teacher of the Year, Chauncey Veatch. He spoke on "Leading the Leaders," and challenged us all to do that by example. Mr. Veatch has done that with such passion that we were all humbled and inspired. He taught at the high school level in California and realized he would be able to relate better to his students if he learned Spanish and is now bi-lingual. After teaching at-risk students at the high school level, Mr. Veatch saw a need for more males at the elementary level. So- what did he do? He led by example. He got certified at the elementary level and team teaches 4th and 6th grades (with previous students) and teaches PreK part-time. OH - and somehow he still does a high school class!!! He advised us to go after the opportunity to lead like "a heat seeking missile!" (Did I mention he did all of this AFTER retiring from the military?) Whenever I think I am busy, I will remember Mr. Veatch. I wish every educator could listen to him speak. INSPIRING!!! I must admit - he holds a special place in my heart as he knew where BUHLER was!! His mom was from Burrton and he was just here last summer. If he ever comes back to the area, I am going to do what I can to have him visit educators in the area!!
Mr. Chauncey Veatch (and ME!)

The KTOY Team will be visiting Central College in McPherson and Tabor College in Hillsboro tomorrow. I will miss out on that visit as I am in Dallas until Sunday. However, they will be posting pictures and some highlights. Since I am feeling a little disconnected with my family and friends right now, I thought I would share this quote given to me by a treasured friend.

"You can kiss your family and friends goodbye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you."

No comments: