Friday, February 27, 2009

2 Days = 3 Groups!


Thursday I was invited to speak at Southeast of Saline USD 306 during their professional development time. The topic was the KTOY Process. My goal was to quickly go through the process of how I became KTOY, what I do versus what the KTOY Team does, and what opportunities any district nominee has. Because this topic in my opinion doesn't lend itself to get the faculty up and moving, interacting, and talking, I was a little nervous it would be boring. So, the plan was to zip through that and then get to my message as KTOY and do some activities. Well, I didn't get to my "fun" stuff as I ran out of time. They had some great questions about the KTOY year for me and I like to talk....so I talked too much! However, they DID get up and moving thanks to some bees that made a guest appearance during my presentation. Maybe they wanted to know what the "buzz" was about too!!

Friday the KTOY Team had the opportunity to visit education majors at Bethel College and Hesston College. I can't tell you how great it is to be in a room full of young people excited about becoming a teacher. A couple things that stuck with me were how many male elementary teachers there were in this group. We DESPERATELY need more men in our elementary schools to serve as positive male role models for the many students that do not have that at home. I decided to do a survey in my own district to find out how many men versus how many women are in our elementary buildings. Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 at the school my children attend. There were also quite a few special education majors. For some reason, these students hold a special place in the Team's heart. Maybe it is because one of our team's members has a child that these teachers may instruct someday, maybe it is because one of our team members has a masters in special education, or maybe it is simply because we know these future teachers are going to touch lives in a way we never will. They asked some really great questions to the Team like "How do you know when to send a student to the principal's office?" "What is your advice on handling student discipline?" "How do you get students to respect you?" and the question that will have the most memorable answer was "What is your most embarrassing moment as a teacher?" My gut is still hurting from laughing at Mary Martha Goods answer. If you ever see us speak or run into her, you MUST ask her this question. Next week I get to participate in Read Across Kansas in the DeSoto District. I was invited by the 2008 KTOY, Jeri Powers, to read to some of students and then head to Pittsburg State University, Sterling College, and will end the week in my home town at Bethany College.

No comments: