Friday, February 13, 2009

Marysville and Memories

Marysville teachers taking part in the yarn web activity
I was invited to Marysville USD 364 to speak and learn with the educators there. They were so GREAT - dancing and singing with the music that I played - participating in all the crazy activities that I threw at them - and even tolerated my bad jokes! They really treated me well and I even had a reserved parking place there which made me feel way more important than I am!
The whole day was a great trip down memory lane for me. I played many basketball games in the Marysville gym (I graduated from Belleville High) and coached many games there (when I taught/coached in Concordia).

Kathleen Stump - a rockin' music teacher!
After a snowy drive back to Belleville to eat lunch with my parents (who treated me like a Queen), I dropped in to visit my old elementary school. The principal there was my middle school principal (only we called it junior high school) growing up. I saw art work hanging in the hallway and signs for Jump Rope for Heart (a program my mom started years ago!). My purpose of visiting the school was to see my former music teacher, Kathleen Stump. She is amazing and has helped me and my family on countless projects - including my TOY gifts in Dallas. It was obvious watching her that her students love her as much as I do! I didn't think anyone would believe me how "bad" the weather was, so I took a picture while driving...in retrospect, not the smartest thing I have done.


Next stop - Concordia High School to see my beloved friend, Tami Peltier. She has this wonderful art room - aka The Castle. As an extra bonus, teaching right next to her was David Gieber who I taught math and coached with! We had a great time catching up, talking education, family, and retelling old stories. It is wonderful to have a history with people, buildings, and towns. I have learned that the world of education is very small. Almost everywhere I go there is someone who knows someone who knows me. I LOVE THAT!

David Gieber, myself, and Tami Peltier

No comments: